Friday, June 15, 2012

Rotor Hub Review

First off, the following rotor hub is the property of Boeing Aerospace. This post is simply a review of said hub that is only my perspective as I depict this hub in different configurations. There is no intent to reproduce said hub in an effort to "copy" or duplicate the design, so do not get your panties or skivvies in a bunch. I have considered machining this hub to see how it functions on a small scale helo, but it would not be for profit, just my "brain food" and something mechanical to further occupy my fancy.
The "low vibration hub" is an interesting rotor hub assembly and I found it some time ago while "nerding out" looking through rotorcraft patents during my patent process. It clearly has the advantage of utilizing an "under slung" configuration, but without the risk of mast bumping that can occur in teetering under slug hub assemblies as a result of over correction of cyclic control. The lower part of the hub is linked in to the opposite rotor hub, so when the advancing rotor blade flaps up, it causes the retreating blade to flap down, elimination dissymmetry of lift. The patent drawings below illustrate more detail. Further, I have added some text and arranged the hub into different configurations to include a coaxial set up, simply for clarity and speculative review and trouble shooting. Again it is not an attempt to "take" Boeing's design.



No comments: